Training and Consulting
We draw on our expertise in advocating for children to provide a wide range of training and consulting services.
Photo by Noel Chacha
LCCR’s staff regularly provides professional development, training services, and presentations on topics including juvenile defense practice, systemic juvenile justice reform, and youth development. Our audiences range from career juvenile defenders to law school audiences, teachers to probation officers.
Some of our recent engagements include:
- Continuing legal education presentation to 75 criminal defense lawyers about techniques for effective communication with youthful clients;
- Training for juvenile probation and parole officers in Jefferson Parish on collaborating with defense counsel;
- Daylong crash-course for the New Orleans private bar, offered for CLE credit, on representing youth in juvenile delinquency cases;
- Three-day seminar for juvenile defenders from the Shreveport region, offered for CLE credit, on legal issue litigation in juvenile delinquency cases;
- Lecture on behavioral health issues affecting youth in the juvenile justice system at a forum sponsored by the Institute for Women and Ethnic Studies;
- Multi-session, interactive presentation to young people in a local reentry program on the rights of youth in the juvenile justice system.
If you are interested in engaging LCCR to present or train for your organization or group, please contact us.
LCCR works with colleagues statewide to build a community of skilled, committed, and fully-resourced advocates for the rights of Louisiana’s children.
The password-protected section of our website houses resources to support the statewide community of juvenile defense practice. Connect with public defender practice resources.
Our expert staff regularly consults, formally and informally, on juvenile and criminal justice issues in Louisiana and beyond.
At the practice level, LCCR’s staff has developed specialized expertise in issues surrounding the representation of youth in the juvenile justice system:
- LCCR’s social workers are the only juvenile defender social workers in Louisiana, and are experts in psychosocial assessment, dispositional planning, and client communication.
- Our youth advocates and investigators have developed specialized skills – from obtaining hard-to-come-by school records to interviewing child complainants.
- Our attorneys, who consistently take more than half of all of the state’s juvenile court writs and appeals every year, have the state’s largest bank of motions and briefs relevant to the juvenile delinquency practice.
Our innovative model of juvenile defense was built to be replicable. We are dedicated to sharing what we have learned with colleagues in Louisiana and nationwide who seek to create effective juvenile defender offices.
Our social workers are available to be retained as defense experts, and we welcome inquiries about consultations. While we cannot always take on new cases or offer legal advice, we will always respond to young people and their families with questions about the juvenile justice system.
If you have any questions, please contact us.